Saturday, January 10, 2015

AN INTERVIEW WITH OSAGIE ALEX (A POET AND A COUNSELLOR) #InspiringTheFutureToday

Yaay! I'm excited! Here, I talked about a new feature which i tagged INSPIRING THE FUTURE TODAY. It's basically a series of interview with people who are successful in their chosen fields. These people would share some of the challenges or failures they have come come across and how they got through it. So, Allow me officially launch the series as i present to you an Interview with Mr. Osagie Alex, a renowned Poet/Spoken word Artist and a Counsellor at Benson Idahosa University.












PIB: Please sir can you briefly Introduce yourself?
OSAGIE ALEX: My name is Osagie Alex. I'm a graduate of Microbiology from Benson Idahosa University. I'm a minister of the Word in contemporary style (poetry) and a counsellor at Wisdom Counselling Center at Benson Idahosa University.
My personal vision statement is, "I will use my writing, poetry, counseling and speaking abilities to help others turn their potential into performance, succeed in every area of their lives, and to achieve their dreams."
I am Determined, industrious, warm and compassionate, patient and tolerant, wise and very intelligent, have a win/win attitude, inquisitive and intuitive, a faithful friend, easy going Attractive personality, amiable,altruistic, courageous, resilient, loyal to friends, proactive, emotional...loves excellence, nature, coaching and counseling, most importantly i am BORN AGAIN! Counseling is not a hobby, its a life and a great privilege.


PIB: Sir, What is your drive? I mean the Why behind what you do.
OSAGIE ALEX: There is an old saying, 'He that must thrive must wake at five'. So many things can drive a life, from guilt, fear, insecurity, failure, you name them, but it not about the drive but what fuels the drive, cause a drive just like a car is fueled by something.
My drive is to preach Christ and the fuel is God's unconditional love. If people don't see how deep they have fallen, they would never see how deep grace is, that it is a lifeline to save them from their deadline hence my passion to help others achieve their dreams, fueled by God's unconditional love.
Big Question, the WHY. My why is simply to help people achieve their dreams. So I let people see that our pasts and mistakes were made in China "it doesn't last". |We can still live our dreams after mistakes, cause inspite of our wrongs, falls, mistakes and flaws, God's love never leaves us to the floor.


PIB: What is been a counsellor like? And how you get there?
OSAGIE ALEX: Being a Counsellor and how I got there? Hmmmm, It may seem funny but it all began from a conversation I had with a teenager back in 2010. It was then I realized that there wasn't any place teenagers could go to whenever they need counsel or if they need a little push, or encouragement after making mistakes, so the Wisdom Counselling Centre (WCC) came to mind, and we began online via Facebook. We have since grown from just reaching to teenagers to youths and adults. The testimonies that have come in have been mind blowing and all praise and glory to God alone.





PIB: Life as a poet and counsellor.... What are some of your achievements?
OSAGIE ALEX: I have performed poetry at churches, weddings, corporate events, birthdays, even won best motivational speaker award in Abuja, trained the winner and runner up of Gemstone Campus Speaker (BIU) and currently manage Radiant City Group but in all, I count it all as nothing cause whenever pride walks on stage, God walks away. I would say it has been fulfilling all Glory to Him, I have had the opportunity to help restore broken relationships, homes, academic pursuits, dreams and got people saved. But the greatest for me is seeing people saved, because like scripture says what can a man give in exchange for his soul?


PIB: On getting to where you are now, what are some of the challenges or failures you have come across?
OSAGIE ALEX: People not believing in me in me has been a challenge. Some ask how I can counsel married people when I'm not married (I joke back and say, Reverend Fathers don't marry but counsel the married). I have been told how will this sustain me, but if God ever gives a vision, he makes the provision. I don't think I am there yet, because He is still taking me through to where He is taking me to.
I remember this one time - I was doing poetry for a big christmas carol event in Benin and I went blank on stage. Some felt it was a dramatic concept, others felt it was the mic, some perceived I might have missed my lines, but I knew what happened. I went blank, prior to that time I knew all the lines, but I guess it was a reminder for me that it wasn't about me anymore but He is me. So I walked off stage and sat sobbing back stage till the event was over. That for me was the defining moment for me in poetry. For counseling, my own advice couldn't save my relationship so that was trying. But I wouldn't say I failed, because everything works together for good (Rom8:28).

I have had my share of failure hence I tell people that every master was once a disaster. The challenges keeps coming but that's why He has given me the grace to dominate and overcome. Like my friend Nosa (the singer) would say no case go fit make me craze, cause I they on the masters grace.


PIB: Sir, after that incident on stage, how did you manage to get back on your feet?
OSAGIE ALEX: After that event I had a funny come back, I had 3 event in one day (10am, 12pm and 3pm on 26th December) and it was awesome. When I was done people came to tell me how blessed they were and some spoke of how they would like to become poets too. It was like when Man United came back from 2 goals down in 1999 champions league final against Bayern Munich. But the lesson had been learned, God first, others after. My goal for poetry is to see miracles happen when I minister because poetry is a ministry, the ministry of reconciliation. And God is the first and best poet for in the beginning He spoke.





PIB: What advice can you give to aspiring poets and speakers?
OSAGIE ALEX: Never do it for the money, fame or applause, but for the right cause. If its your gift, it will make room for you. Just keep in tune with the one who gave you the gift, because He alone knows how to use the gift as a blessing to others.

Packaging is good but carrying His presence always is better. Improve your skill, learn more, and be of more service. Like I always tell people, everyone will have the opportunity to shine, prepare and wait, your time will come. Those who bleed in training, never bleed in battle, let Him train you, so in Him you reign. He is your relevance, outside Him you may have significance but it won't last.

PIB: Wow! Great words sir, Thanks very much.
OSAGIE ALEX: Special thanks to God for using a fool like me as His tool, and to all who have been there for me particularly Bishop FEB Idahosa, sir God bless you. And to you for interviewing a nobody, and those reading about a nobody, thank You.


Please listen and download one of Alex Osagie's Poem titled DREAM!




Do me a Favour and subscribe to this blog so you can get new posts sent directly to your email.
To subscribe using a mobile phone, keep scrolling down this page till you see the subscribe by email tag, type in your email and click submit.
To subscribe using a PC, check the sidebar for the subscribe by email option. Thank You

MUCH LOVE!
PS: SHARE THIS POST

3 comments:

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment