Monday, October 13, 2014

Learn to Waste resources...Its for the greater good. Trust me!

I'm on Industrial training at 7up Bottling company, Benin Plant. I work in the quality control department - doing plenty test and analysis at practically all stage of production just to make sure we don't give the citizens of Edo state bad beverage. Its been fun, well at first it was fun, i was curious to know how to do all the tests and what happens in the various stages of production but now that i know alot, i'm getting really bored of the routine and damn! The struggle to get out of bed in the mornings ain't funny but all in all, in the few weeks I have been there, I have Learnt one viable lesson - HOW TO WASTE!

Here's the gist:

During different test analysis, we waste drinks e.g. To test for brix, I'd take a bottle of beverage and pour out it's content till its almost empty and then I will use the remaining few drops to test. When we candle and find particles in the drinks (beverages) we empty the bottle... Infact, if in a crate sample we find 12bottles with serious particles, the 12500litres of beverage could be empitied.
Everyday, bottles of beverages are wasted for one 'good' reason or the other. Over and over again, I pour away beverages and syrup when I'm doing this test analysis or the other and so, I learnt the very profound lesson - I learnt how to waste.

The thing is, 7up throws away so much in an attempt to gain perfection. They would rather empty 12500 litres tank of beverage than bottle drinks that are not fit for consumption.  Every minute, this test or the other, this control measure or the other is going on just to make sure everything is perfect. From the water to the sugar, to the flavours to the bottles, corks, codes, everything is checked for quality assurance and if it takes wastage of some to attain A+ in the rest, Why not.
7up would rather waste and lose resources than produce something that could get them sued.

Just as 7up company controls the quality of beverages it produces, so we ought to control quality of goods and services we render.

I have learnt to focus on results instead of resources. I have learnt that, if I have to do it all over again to attain perfection, I should, without taking into consideration the resources (money, time and energy) I may have put into it.
I have learnt to aim at perfection regardless of the cost. I have learnt to waste resources if it ain't giving me what I want. I have learnt not to manage because of how much I have put into it already. I have learnt to put in a 100 and more percent just so what I give out is the best.
Its better to sweat, to waste, to use up all your resources in order to attain the best result than to minimise and give out something not good enough. The truth is, ONLY the best results will give you more opportunities to do more. So why not do all you possibly can with that job so you can get more rather than manage and lose future opportunities. Practice begets perfection right? Well, you wouldn't have to keep wasting or redoing jobs because as you do one you become better than the last time but until you attain the perfect process, don't be afraid to waste or redo it.
Whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well. Pursue excellence.

You wouldn't believe it:
When I first resumed work, I noticed whenever anyone wanted to take a drink, they would pour out some of its content before drinking (EVERYBODY was doing it), so one day I asked one of the other interns why. She said there's no reason to it, except that they don't want to take too much sugar, so they just reduce the content of the bottle. Thing is, we can drink a crate of drink at work if we want to, so when we reduce the content of three bottles, we end up taking just one and half bottle in total (u dig). Anyway, before long, I joined in the trail. Every time I took a bottle of drink, I'd reduce the content first. (It has become an habit).
Few weeks after i resumed at 7up, I went to school for something. One of the mornings I was at school, I went downstairs to get myself a drink. As I got back to my room, I uncorked the bottle, unconsciously went to the balcony and opened away some of its content. Just then, I realised I was pouring away some of my money.
It was funny how out of habit I did to what I bought what I had been doing to that I which I had for free. LESSON ---> Watch the habits you pick up.


In another news (hehe), I was studying the book of philippians and as I read chapter 4 verse 6-7 (Don't worry about anything, instead pray about all things and God will give you peace that exceeds all understanding), I remembered this picture:
Truly, when we cast all our cares on Christ, give him all our worries and problems, we would just be chilling as our hearts an minds will be soaked with the peace of the Lord.


PS: People of this world like tafia o. My birthday post of 65 things about me is a Hit!

MUCH LOVE!

6 comments:

  1. You are a good thinker, sis. Bringing up life lessons from everyday events. Thanks for sharing and weldone at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, first time am visiting... Good to know you are a biochemistry student

    http://www.icelaw.me/2014/10/different.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I count every pain i go through as part of me being wasted for a perfect me. Prior to now yeah, when i am beat to teh ground by lifes unfavourable events, I used to throw a big Pity party and all.. I would get all worried, and moody. but since learning to trust God at my most uncertain of times, and most unfavorable of events, I just chill like the boy in the picture, cause i know that regardless that it seems like life is screwing with me, and making me feel like i am ""there yet"", I am learning that in all sincerity, that it is not time being wasted, but a part of the sugar (evils) which could harm us passing away..

    P.S: I just had a Eureka kinda moment while typing this comment Bubba.. I really needed that Moment. God bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmnn... picked up a fact... never consider d stress of d process but to aim at d best result ... nice one miss

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment