Saturday, November 23, 2013

How i almost set my house on fire





I could have set my house on fire yesterday. I wanted to prepare dinner for myself (noodles and fried egg). Since noon I had been seeing myself eating noodles as dinner and It was sweet ehn, so I was very highly excited when mum called me to come make my food as she was done making hers.

Ehn! As much as I was excited about the noodles (here’s the thing: mum brought a new type of noodles - Honeywell – to the house and when I tried the onion chicken flavour it was superb, so I had the intentions of trying out the pure chicken flavour so I could decide if I wanted to abandon indomie noodles) I was a little bit reluctant to stand up cause I was watching a movie titled Suits and was totally loving it.
Well sha I did stand up and went to the kitchen.

GHEN GHEN

I lit the gas, placed a frying pan on the gas, poured in oil to hit, broke, spiced and whisk my egg then I went to the sitting room to ask mum where the canton of noodles was. She couldn't remember exactly where it was so she directed me somewhere to check for it.


GHEN GHEN

I had just found the noodles when she shouted saying “Baby something is smelling, what did you put on fire?”
“OMG!” I thought to myself as I ran to the kitchen (while on the quest for noodles I had completely
forgotten the oil – few drops of oil – I had poured in the pan to hit).
I got to the kitchen and saw the frying pan on fire (literally on fire), so I quickly turned off the gas hoping it would take the fire on the pan away. Lo and behold, NOTHING HAPPENED – the pan just kept exhuming in flames. I practically saw my heart leap out of my body and run away. Quickly I called mum and told her to help me open the door for me (as I had the intent to carry the pan outside – for the life of me I don’t know why I felt I would successfully carry it outside without burning myself and somehow spread the fire, well I wasn't thinking straight then). Mum ran to me in the kitchen and when she saw the flames she screamed and said “Egwolome has killed me oooooo”, she then told me to open the door and while I was trying frantically to open the door (somehow I had forgotten the direction to turn the key to enable the door open), she took hold of the pan and threw it on the floor (throwing it on the floor wasn't her intent, but the fire touched her hands so she threw the pan as a response to the burn) and poured soapy water on it a couple of times before the fire was completely extinguished.


‘Aaaahhhh’ what a relief I sighed.
Well, thankfully nothing got burnt and my mum’s burnt wasn't a serious something at all.
After the episode, my heart returned back to me and I started breathing fine again even though the whole house was filled with smoke.

Jejely Jejely, asin very humbly I walked to my room to go process what just happened, as I was on the journey there, my lovely mum who I thank God didn't die cause of me (Women sha, they can exaggerate things o, if you heard the way she screamed the ‘Egwolo has killed me o, you’d think I just shot a bullet at her) called me and gave me a lecture on safety precautions.

Now now, don’t you start thinking that I don’t know how to cook or that I don’t cook often (last night was just a uhm, I don’t know o, well, just a one time – hopefully – mistake).

Anyway, after the whole thing had died now I went back to prepare the food and yes, it was worth the trouble.


Pondering on the event later on I learnt a couple of lessons and figured out what I should do to avoid its re-occurrence:

FIRST, Do things in order; First things first; start small. The episode would never had happened if I had started frying the eggs first before going to look for the noodles. I would have successfully fried my egg, placed it in a plate, wash the pan, put water to hit in it for the noodles and while the water was hitting looked for the noodles (as it will take considerably longer time for the water to dry up and the pan begin to burn). I had whisked the egg (order) so why didn't I just proceed to fry it? Maybe because I was in a hurry and I didn't want to start small.

SECONDLY, Be prepared befor beginning a thing. Make sure all the resources you need for that thing is close, it maybe not be in your hand but ensure it’s at arm’s length and you can get it easily when you need it. If I had looked for the noodles and put in on the kitchen slab before lighting the gas I wouldn't have left the kitchen at all (ehn, except to go take a peep at Suits *coversface*). Always endeavour to ascertain that all you need is ready (or will without doubt be ready when you need it), now I'm not saying wait till you have 25million to complete a project but you should have the necessary amount needed to lay the foundation (to start small). Always be prepared so when an opportunity comes you won’t misuse it.

FINALLY, Stay Focused. When we do too many things at the same time there’s a tendency that none of them would come at best because we didn't give our maximum attention and our best to it has our mind was divided.

Truth be told I believe If I had completely taken my mind of the movie and focused it on the food, I would at least detected the fire even before it started as I could have got the first smell of burning before mum did but more I could have remembered in time that something was on fire and so checked it before it got burnt.

                       Oya you people should help me thank God that the house did not burn.

8 comments:

  1. Firstly. Thank God your house did not burn. Secondly I love it, I love it I love it. (The movie) the day I watched it I prctically forgot to eat. Well thanks for sharing. 2mao is church share ur testimony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God nothing happened. I admire the fact that you choose to learn from such incidence instead of taking it as just a normal thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U ar a learner and a teacher. God bless u Iti for getting me itimi-dated.

      Delete
  3. Thank God the house didn't get burnt. I'm happy with the fact that you choosed to learn from it and also taught us to doing things rightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God oo.
      Aww! Tnx peter. I'm glad you stopped by on here

      Delete
  4. The Man With A Good NameNovember 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

    Hahaha. Good lesson learnt... For you. And me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh*
    Girls and film!
    Back in the days *clears throat* a girls place is always in the kitchen!
    Ya'll hardly stay 5min in the kitchen these days...
    God save you sha!
    Ur mum was suppose to beat the "I" from Itimi so you'd learn better.
    If yu like do it again.

    P.s Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment