Tuesday, December 23, 2014

I'm trying to find my Christmas Spirit, I Don't know where it ran to.

I don't feel Christmas. I KNOW tomorrow is Christmas but I don't feel it.
The yuletide season is pronounced everywhere - On Tv, on the Internet (just check Google's doodle, tweets and facebook walls), in public places (I was at the bank yesterday and too many people were on Christmas caps/hats) and in my house (Mum is receiving chickens and drinks anyhow - The woman keeps laughing, reciting in my ear that 'A good name is better than riches and It's not easy to be a senior citizen' as if na she first retire
- and writing, rewriting and editing list of items I'd use to bake her Christmas cake) yet I'm not moved. I haven't gotten into the Christmas spirit myself,  maybe its because I'm not seeing any physical decorations (My area is so retarded that no one puts up any decoration what so ever - except one man on my street though. - The only thing that happens in my area for Christmas is kids throwing knockouts and going from house to house on Christmas day eating food and collecting twenty twenty naira) but then, though i seriously doubt, it could be due to the flu I'm down with (Mehn! Sore throat and catarrh is a terrible combination. I don draw nose and drink fluid tire. #BetweenFluAndDust,iDon'tWantHamattanAgain#) or maybe because I have no plans (I don't like to leave my house on Christmas, Newyear or Easter day. I just don't like it. I prefer to go out a day before or a day after and stay home on the day itself. Weird? I know, but then, I'm naturally sucker for indoor quiet things. Crowd on streets freaks me out. DAMN!)...

Whilst wondering where my Christmas Spirit ran to, I keep thinking if the lot of us still remember the reason for Christmas.

I look around and I see people excited about Christmas not because it's the special day eons ago when Our saviour Jesus was born but because it's the time of the year when families get together after a long year, because it's the time of the year companies halt serious business, because its a general holiday - a time for merriment, love and laughter, a time to celebrate, to exchange gifts, to eat, an opportunity for churches to do the traditional Christmas plays and 9 lessons and carols.
Too many of us are celebrating Christmas without celebrating the essence of it, the Reason for it.
What good is it to have fun, eat, laugh, share gifts, show love, party et al without remembering and reverencing the one who made Christmas possible?
Incase you have forgotten, Jesus is why Christmas is celebrated. The one who is God but became flesh and as a result was trialled and tested so he can relate to your feelings (Heb 2:18, 4:16), He who knew no sin but became sin so you may live (2cor 5:21).

I'm talking about our saviour,  God's only son who bore our iniquities and it's consequences, who washed US ALL of all our sins (past, present and future) so that ALL who believe in Him and the finished work of the cross may be reconciled unto God, an holy and blameless people.
JESUS - the Prince of Peace, The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, The Word, Our Advocate (1John 2:1), Our saviour, The sacrificial Lamb is the REASON FOR CHRISTMAS and you are the Reason Jesus was born.

I ask one thing: As you show love this Christmas, remember the Author of Love - The God who is Love.
As you share gifts and food, remember to share the Gospel which is the power of God unto salvation.
As you party and make merry, remember (In the Words of Jennifer Ugboh): If Christ was born a thousand times in Bethlehem but not in your life, it will mean nothing at all.

Merry Christmas......... Have a Great One

PS: LAST YEAR I POSTED AN ARTICLE ON JESUS ISN'T THE REASON FOR THE SEASON (creepy huh?) read it here and get the full gist -- http://www.peaceitimi.com/2013/12/jesus-isnt-reason-for-season.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peace,

    This piece fully describes how i feel right now. I'm in the middle of an Exam. All these physics courses are really taking my time. The only way I'm compensating myself is by just meditating over the essence of this season.

    It's good to be here again. Merry Christmas!

    P.S: Can i have your BBM pin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that Bubba, i so second that closing line: "If Christ was born a thousand times in Bethlehem but not in your life, it will mean nothing at all." Cause on the long run yeah, it is more about the intent than about the action. I hope your flu has subsided now Bubba? Cheers and complements of the season Itimi, wishing you and mother the best of whats left of 2014, and a ghen ghen 2015 in advance. Cheers Bubba.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment