Saturday, August 2, 2014

National issues; Boko Haram, Chibok girls and now Ebola virus

I was at a branding seminar today when in the midst of it, my mind wandered as usual. (I dont know o, but my mind is a wandering expert. It can touch a million things - be it, events, memories, issues, book, video, ideas, basically anything -  in a millisecond before settling on a particular topic to brood on.  Its just crasy like that. Anyway back to the subject at hand). So, my blessed mind wandered and settled on Chibok girls (maybe because one of the speakers referred to them in her presentation) and then it moved to Bokoharam and finally the ebola issue.
Majorly, I just thought of how alot of us are indifferent to most of our national issues and I think its mainly because these incidents haven't gotten close to us yet.

Uhmm, allow me use my experiences to portray my point.




I cant count how much news I have heard about Bokoharam and its bombing escapades neither can I count how many times the issue has been brought up in church and we were asked to pray about it, but never have I gotten on my knees (of my own accord) and pray very passionately about it. Oh! Dont get me wrong, when the subject is brought up in a gathering and we are asked to pray about it, I do so with all I have but i havent personally gone on my knees to pray about it.
When I hear about the killings,  it touches my heart and mosttimes I passively say 'God be with us' but it ends there, Until I heard that a friend of mine was almost involved in one of the bombings in abuja few weeks back.
When my friend said 'Itimi, kare barely escaped being in that Abuja bomb blast' my heart flipped. I just kept thinking of how we would have felt if she was actually there and for the first time ever, the reality of b Boko haram hit me hard and oh! The prayer I prayed.


Ebola Ebola Ebola!
This is the most recent issue. I have heard like a million news and gotten a thousand BC's (okay, maybe not a thousand) about Ebola and safety issues and all that. I even heard on an entertainment news yesterday that Jim Iyke (nigerian actor) ran from Liberia back to Nigeria because of the issue (the guy dey fear 4 e life) but still, it has just been News to me until last night when a friend told me that she's scared her business trip to Ghana next week may not be possible because she read in a news that Ghana has banned incoming flights from West African countries especially Sierra leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria. That when the reality of Ebola virus hit me. I was like 'for real, this na serious matter o. Damn!'

So you see what I mean, I kind of remained indifferent to this issues until they threatened me (well, my friends). Yes! I always passively said 'God take control' and prayed when the issues were brought up but i left it at that and I'm pretty sure a lot of us do too.


These chibok girls saga is the one issue that has really cut me deep (without it having to threatened me or anyone around me first), maybe because its about young girls. It just hurts me to know that these girls would never be the same again. Whether they are rescued tomorrow or never,  they run the risk of being forever traumatized. And a life filled with pain and trauma is no life. It just hurts and its infuriating to know that our government is doing practically nothing about it. Its more than a 100days, thats more than 3months now and they are still wherever they are. Its been suspected now that the girls been used for bombing are the chibok girls (oh! You have not heard,  the latest suicide bombers are teenage females), can you imagine?


Now you must be thinking,  why is Peace writing this article.
Its simple, I dont want us to wait till disasters reach our doorsteps before we pray (There's little to nothing we can do about these issues except pray).

So Lets pray.
Lets pray that Bokoharam won't come close to us or those we love. Lets pray they stop.
Lets pray Ebola virus is contained before it becomes more viral than it is. Lets pray for a cure.
Finally, let us sincerely put the lives of the chibok girls in God's hand. Let them be rescued and more,  let God heal their hearts. Pray for their protection please.

Pray for nigeria. Pray for your country.



P.S: This post is dedicated to am amazing man...  He is absolutely amazing for real. He is God loving, creative, funny, smart, 'big' and single guy (yes o, he is single, so if you know any BEAUTIFUL, GODLY, teachable, homely, fun single young girl let me know). His birthday is tomorrow and I want to use this medium and be the first to say Happy birthday.
'Janded' Jindu John Nwabudike, this one is for you. I wish you God's continual grace, love, blessings and care. You rock, you know that right?


PPS: On impulse, I created a BBM channel yesterday. It's called PEACE ITIMI's and the aim is to post anything that doesn't get on the blog. Thing is I write alot but dont always post them here because I usually think they are too too short to be blog posts and so from now on I will post inspirational stuffs on the channel that are toooooooo short to be on the blog. So if you are on bbm kindly add my channel.
The pin is ... C00402554

3 comments:

  1. You are a fantastic writer, and I must commend you for that.
    You see, inasmuch as I believe in the power of prayers, relying on prayers to solve some issues is like using a padlock key to open a car door.
    If a hunter with a gun is confronted by a bush pig in the forest will he get down on his knees and pray for God to save him.
    God has already given him a gun, so what he has to do is shoot the goddamn pig down or scare him away and later thank God for saving his life.
    Boko haram started when it could have been nipped in the bud, but our leaders kept frolicking on corruption and today it is like a prostate cancer that will not make us walk. When Ebola virus was reported in Ghana and other neighboring countries we did nothing about it until the Liberian died of the infection in Lagos. Fire-brigade approach to issues does little help.
    I can write on and on but I am hopeful we will come out of these mazes someday, but we need to do the right things at the right time. We need to set our priorities straight. We need to set the horse before the cart and the other way round.
    I blog here boogie, www.okaforchris.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chai! it isn't funny again ooo. May God save Nigeria from this mess *crying

    ReplyDelete
  3. All through last week yeah, I was as busy as a bat, and I didn't have time to really sit and analyse this Ebola issue. But over the weekend Bubba, it just hit me that this stuff is really severe. I myself feel a tad amount of fear Peace. I pray these things do not come near my dwelling, or those of my people, I pray for help Peaace. It's sad that we never know the effect of things till they affect someone we know, I just pray that all these insurgencies and endemics end soon Bubba, causing waking up daily is getting scary.. and Having that I am not saved makes it even more scary. :(

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment