Saturday, August 30, 2014

Don't be a stumbling block to the message you preach

"Sometimes we have to stop doing the things we love to do on a normal day. Sometimes, we have to change because we dont want our attitudes/character to be a stumbling block. Its not a pretence change though, its a transformation, a conviction, a sacrifice from deep within because we really want something to work out." - Peaceitimi
○1 Corinthians 9:19-23 MSG
Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn’t just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!○

●1 Corinthians 9:20-23 NLT
When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.●
In a world of stereotypical mindset and single stories, Christians have to becareful how they act, speak and even dress otherwise the spread of the Gospel would be handicapped, not because we are not worded/spiritual enough but because the mindset and values of some people would render their hearts too rigid to accept.
When Paul said he would act as a gentile when with the gentiles he wasn't saying he would forget his morals and conviction but that he would be flexible enough to alter his habits so as to blend with the people he was with so they would be comfortable enough to listen to him.
Personally,  I'm like the most simple and casual person you could ever meet. Nothing pleases me more than a jean and a shirt with slippers and when I want to be less casual, snickers it is but overtime I have learnt that alot people don't care how you are naturally, there's a dress code for practically all occasions and so even at the most casual of seminars you see everyone on cooperate, church workers ( even in modern parishes/youth churches) go cooperate. So gradually, I'm learning to adjust to fit the part (even though i haven't yet learnt to not fold my long sleeve, I say I am making progress).
I'm a girl and all but I dislike skirts, but here i am, looking forward to Monday when I 'may' begin to wear skirts everyday to work all in the name of I.T and so I ask myself, if I can go out of my comfort zone and wear skirts for grades and work on my mind to like and look forward to it, why cant I will myself totally to God so in whatever situation I find myself I would alter me to fit the bill so the goodnews would be recieved? (#FoodForThought).
Here is what a friend said to me a while ago (in paraphrase though)...
'There are lots of things I will love to try out, places I would love to visit and dresses I will love to wear but because of the country I live and the culture of the citizens, I wouldn't do them. Why? You may ask...
... because as much as I am important to me, Jesus is my priority and if I do some certain things in some certain ways, my lifestyle may become a stumbling block hindering people from accepting the Gospel I preach.
I want to try weed, know how it feels and see if it can really cure illnesses like doctors have said but I wouldn't not just because its illegal (and we all know God doesn't appreciate us disobeying authorities) but because a lot of people would not listen to my message if they know I take weed.
I want to take alcohol (not make it a habit or take it in excess) but most Nigerians believe Christians shouldn't take alcohol at all and so if I do this, my ministy could be handicapped.
But then,  if I travel out to Jamaica,  I could dread my hair and wear skinny's to preach and people would listen. A guy could go to the U.S, plait his hair, wear body hug polo and jeans and people would welcome him but with the majority of Nigeria's population, they would insult your life if you go dressed like the Americans and Jamaicans to preach.
You wouldn't believe I went to a village at Ekiti State (in Nigeria) to evangelise and because I was on trousers, the villagers frowned at me meanwhile the people in my church at home in Benin sees it as alright. I had to go home and come back another day dressed in skirts before the villagers answered me. (Some people wouldn't listen to you expect you are all suited up and you are carrying a big bible).'
°2 Corinthians 6:3 NLT
We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry.°
Paul said he isn't perfect but he will do all he can to prevent anyone from finding fault in him.
Lets live like Paul. Lets not give anyone any reason to doubt us or not listen to us. Do your best to be without blemish (as much as possible).
The thing is, somethings may not be necessarily wrong by you or your community but if you go elsewhere it would be frowned at. So act right by the rules of where you stay and by your spirit lest your lifestyle becomes a stumbling block to the gospel you preach. But then, if Jesus isnt your priority,  if spreading the good news is not your priority,  you could do almost anything you want."
Basically, what I am saying is in 2cor6:3 "Live in such a way that no one stumbles or  begin to waver in faith because of you.
Live in such a way that no one finds a reason to not accept Jesus because of you.
Think about the consequences of your actions before you do them. Think of others in all you do. If what you do would cause another to sin or waver in faith, please dont do it. Help build eachothers faith.
Make the Gospel your priority and live accordingly"
Sidenote: I hope I passed this message well because I feel like I haven't done justice to it (#fingerscrossed).
Well, If you need more clarity on the issue, email me (pntimi@hotmail.com) so we could gist about it.
Please leave your comment, I really want to know your thoughts on this subject.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article.
    bt watz ur say on people losing their id trying to get pass d societal norm,xo as to evangelize

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment