Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lessons Part 1

Hey guys, it's been so long... I missed the blog community, I hope I was missed too...
I'm back now (for good) and I'd love to fill you guys in on the few things I have picked up over the past weeks.
But, before i begin, I want to apologise. "I'm saying a big sorry for my inconsistency... I plan to remedy this. Please,  readers forgive me... I had to take a break so as not to fall short..."
With that said, lets dive into lessons:
Over the last couple of weeks i learnt five major things which I'd caption;
1) Priorities
2) Open-mindness
3) Changes
4) Reconciliation
5) The Race
For the sake of length, I'd write on two here and the others in a sequel post.
First off is Priorities:

        When the semester began in earnest, i was having classes everyday (most weekends inclusive) from 8am till 4/5pm sometimes till 6pm and so, I realised I couldnt handle everything on my plate simultaneously and effectively. I had to figure out my priorities, stick to them while i dropped off the rest for later.
       As a student, my number one priority after a personal relationship with God is School. The reason I'm within the four walls of a university is to get a good result, which means attending as much classes as I could, doing all assignments, practicals and tests, reading and writing exams well.
To enable me do all the above and still find time to breathe and say hi to roommates, I decided to cut down on internet time (bad network and airtel's beef with andriod devices helped though, hehe) and fellowship time (cause though, having a personal relationship with God entails fellowship, fellowship activites shouldnt take you away from the rest of your life).
I probably could have found a way to get all things done without anyone lacking but at that point, reducing my workload was all i could come up with. By the way, expect its all on my phone or laptop, multitasking isnt a strength of mine.
So, Find what works for you.  For a lot of y'all, planning your time may not include holding off stuffs but just find something that works for you.
There's time for everything.
Dont overload yourself, do what (and how much) you can do and do excellently.
The point is: I have learnt to prioritize.  To do what needs to be done at the time it needs to be done.
   Somethings like Blogging can wait but semesters in school dont wait for anyone. Some responsibilities can be put on hold but being a student and getting good grades cant be halted... Pick your 'do now's' wisely.
     Before I drop off on this topic,  allow me Urge you to Prioritise, Plan, and Prepare. Dont wait till you fail before you begin to prioritize and plan, dont wait till you lose an opportunity before you begin to prepare. Until, I allowed myself to get distracted and then fail I didnt see the need to keep the important and necessary Do Now's.
Discipline yourself today to know and do what should be done. Time waits for no one but there's time for everything. Wisdom is Profitable to Direct.
Second off is Changes;
     "I met someone and with time we got close. She grew to mean sooo much to me but overtime, she has grown to mean less. At a point, I'd have done anything for her, now, I'd think twice about doing things for her.
Once upon a time, I meant a lot to someone, today i dont mean as much.
There was a time she meant nothing to me but today I'd do anything for her.
There was something I valued so much but today I dont think about it anymore.
The things I value most in life now are things I once thought meaningless.
Some memories I used to cherish are fading away and I'm doing nothing it.
A stranger today can be your best pal tomorrow,  your best pal today could be a stranger tomorrow."
As my life unfolds, I've come to understand that for real, Change is Constant,  Life is unpredictable... You can create your life, choose how you turn out but you have no control whatsoever over anything outside yourself.
     I've learnt to cherish the moments and make the best of today. I've learnt not to value people and things so much because, they would all pass away.
Life is in phases, the people with you today may not follow you to the next phase, so if you lose yourself in others, when they leave, when things change, there be no you.
Pride yourself in your individualism, live in your within, Let not the outer determine you.
At the end of the day, it will fall into place...
...Just keep in mind that; things change, tastes changes, situations changes, people change and you have no control over this but if you dont allow the outer determine your outcome, you'd triumph.
    Accept change when it comes. Don't dwell, learn, move on and be better.
The only thing you have control  over is yourself... Live from within.
    Much love.

10 comments:

  1. WAt more can I say Dan to say thank u for this word to which I can learn so much from. More grace prolific writer in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. I'm glad I can be a blessing.

      Delete
  2. Very insightful. Prioritizing is where most of us struggle. We want to do it all, yet we are only capable of doing so much well. I am not sure if you have seen the illustration of the big tennis balls and the little rocks. The idea is once you are able to prioritize/fit the bigger balls (most important issues) into the container (your life), all the other smaller rocks will fit around the bigger issues, thereby providing balance. Looking forward to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is just it... thanks for taking time out to drop your thoughts, I just learnt from you.

      Delete
  3. Lovely piece...I can think of several principles of effectiveness encapsulated in your piece in a very relatable fashion. Glad you made the choices you did when you did. Welcome back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Big sist... you cant fathom the big grin I had when I saw your comment notification... i missed you plenty...
      Thanks for reading ma!

      Delete
  4. Insightful piece..welcome back dear, 'Time waits for no one and there is time for everything'. The knowledge of the times and seasons in one's life is a differentiating factor of the outcome of their life.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ma! It sure feels good to be back.

      'The knowledge of times and seasons in one's life is a differentiating factor in the outcome of our lives'.... very well said! God bless

      Delete
  5. Pearls of wisdom. I relate to them especially the ones about friends. It took me a while but I soon grew to understand that not all friends are forever. Some are for a season while some are forever but not in a you must call me/see me every day way. These are true blue friends you know you can count on no matter what even if you had not spoken in weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! Very true... Not all friends are forever and not all forever friends have to call/see you everyday. It should be enough knowing they'd always be there when you need them

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment