Saturday, October 12, 2013

What are you leaving behind?

About a year ago, I met someone. I didn't like her at first, infact I hated seeing her - probably because then it felt like she had come to steal my friends away from me hehe! #memories (Story for another time tho) but with time we got close and I discovered how amazing she is.
Now, I love her to bits, to the stars and beyond, I love her way beyond this life (no homo o!).
She's been a great friend. She's been a confidant, She's been a Sister.
I didn't know I'd ever become close to someone as I am to her today, I've told her things, done things with her that I never thought I would.

But today she travelled (a 24hour flight) to another continent, to a country with 9hours difference in time with ours - Nigeria.
I'm so glad for her (she's going to school there and it's super dope!).
She promised we'd talk all the time (whatsapp, bbm, facebook, twitter, Skype and phone calls). We'd give each other every and any gist and when she finally get's back in four years, it would be like she never even left.

I'm holding on to that promise but the truth is anything can happen. Distance has broken a lot of relationships.
Our bond is greater than distance and that's why I'm certain we'd 'always' be friends, that when she get's back we'd see, we'd talk but what I'm not sure of is if we'd ever be as close as we are now.

Yea, that's what bother's me - the uncertainty about how close a relationship we'd have in Four/Five years.

Well, Let God decide. I'd do my best - call and text when I can and hopefully she'd do same.
God has he final say though, maybe our era together - as Sisters - has passed and maybe (hopefully) it hasn't.

You know what comforts me most about this all? It's knowing that I made an impact (+) in her life.
I'm not bragging but I was, I am a good friend.
Oh! There when times I pissed her off, times I made her cry, times she wished she didn't like me as much and times when I rocked her world, times I comforted her, helped her stand up, helped her through a rough time, a temptation, a heart ache, was there when she was in pain and when I got closer to God, I urged her to do same too.
When it looked like I was doing better, I didn't snob and shun her, instead I urged her, talked to her, made her want to be better. Yes! I impacted in her and I know no matter what happens, I'm someone she'd never forget, I'm someone that she'd always remember and smile and thank God she met.


So, What are you going to leave behind? What memories are you creating? What memories would people have of you?
Would your friends be happy you are gone (dead or travelled)? Would your family really miss you (because of how amazing and impactful you were)?
If you lose contact with someone precious today, would there remember you as someone who always impacted positively? Someone who made them smile? Someone who lifted them up? Someone who encouraged? Would you really be missed?

Some people are in your life for phases, after which there would leave. When they do, what will they remember you for? Good or Bad? Useful or Useless? Impactful or Full of sh***? Are you someone not to be forgotten? Are you someone whose memories would bring smiles?

Now that you have all your loved ones close to you, how are you treating them? How do you make them feel? Are you a bundle of Joy or do your presence cause chaos? Are people happy when you come or happy when you leave?

Little things count. You don't have to do great things, just do small things with GREAT LOVE.

Do something sweet (no matter how little) for someone in your life today.

Encourage, lift up, hug, smile, produce a smile, believe in someone, give an advice, teach something, buy a gift for somone Today - now that you still can.

Try and Make an impact (+) wherever you find yourself.

Oh my! Did I forget to add that she made an impact in me too? Well, She did. (And That's what REAL FRIENDSHIP is - when the parties involved impact in eachother, no matter how little a way).

*deep sigh*
I can't find the letters to type to describe how much and how she impacted in me - it's deep meeeehhn!

Just her being herself -her loving, caring, attentive self changed my perspective of friendship (and life). That girl showed me it's possible to love unconditionally, to tolerate great flaws, how to adjust and adapt to circumstances, how to sacrifice for someone you care about, she (and 2 other girls) showed me it's possible to go from just friends to Family.
I'm a better person because they are in my life and I thank God everyday for the experiences we've had together (it made us who we are today).


This Post is Dedicated to my Friend, My Baby and My Sister Layefa Donye.
I wish you God's best hun, May your life be fruitful.
This is a trip we'd always be glad you went on.
May your spiritual, moral, social and academic life be better and stronger now.
Heh! Find a white husband ooo, lol! Love you everytime.

10 comments:

  1. lovely, amazing n inspiring.. yu inspire my writing skills dearie. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Peace. I pray that the Lord will keep your friend and preserve your relationship. Thanks for reminding us of the need to consciously live an impactful life and leave a good legacy. Cheers dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Peace you really inspire me tho, yea sure i more than believe you were a great impact to her life. Thanks for using this to remind us about its importance. Welldone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this very timely piece. Reminds me of the hymn 'only remembered by what we have done'. If we made conscious effort to work backwards from our anticipated obituaries and tributes, we will make better decisions today. We will love truly, share deeply and sincerely be better people. If we all realised the futility of life and that when we are gone, all we leave people with are memories, we would compete less, be more patient , humane and more forgiving. I pray that God helps us live with this thought in view, every time we are tempted to do something that negates what we would love to be remembered for. For your friend and friendship, I've seen friendships survive more than 4 years of being away, you will both grow and evolve but you can be sure that this season you shared was not mere happenstance and would always be noteworthy for you two in your individual journeys. Thanks for such a simple yet poignant reminder. Bless your heart and God bless your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eloxie, you couldn't have said it any better. I pray that God increase your wisdom.
      Thank you for reading, Thank you for believing with me that my relationship would wither the storm(of distance).
      More grace.

      Delete
  5. Itimi's post has touched my heart :') I do hope u guys remain friends tho. Wish someone dedicates sumfin as nice as dis to me ._.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg! Am touchd and short of words bt aA definitely inspired...tnx 4dis post

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother used to say it anytime I come back from school that he missed me simply because of the punches I used to punch him. At least, that's something to be remembered for, too
    . Lol.

    This post is captivating, Peace. May God keep blessing you and never let the devil steal your talent from you. I dey envy you now o;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! James, well dat's something at least (u impact punches? Hahahhaha). You had Better start impacting wisdom into him joor.
      Thank you (I'm blushing miserably ;)

      Delete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment