Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I was Born with Sickle cell Anaemia and Still My Dad disowned me because I converted to Christainity.

My name is Hammed Ajiboye. I'm a Christian from a Muslim home. A writer, a reader and learner and this is my story:

My conversion to Christianity wasn't a knee jerk reaction. I had always wanted
to be a Christian. What I read in the Bible touched my heart and soul. The story of God's unending love for humanity, salvation and me as a person.

The various stories of healing I read touched the dusty chords of my heart. I desperately wanted healing. Wanted to be free. I had been born with sickle cell, a terrible life threatening, blood zapping condition that has no cure. It was a life of pain. The only way to beat the condition is through meticulous management, prevention of crisis and avoidance of complications.
For me, however, I wanted total healing, not management. I had great plans for my life and I didn't want a life pockmarked with drugs, needles, hospitalization, water therapy and constantly checking my mucous
membranes. No!!
Apart from that, Christianity appealed to me. How could I say no to the message,the package, the story of Job, to God?

I made the best decision I ever made. I gave my life to Christ. Even at that, getting to know God was a long process for me.

Actions have consequences. My decision to be a Christian didn't go down well with
my dad. To him, it was Islam or nothing. To me, it was Christianity or nothing. And
so we were at daggers drawn.
It was hard for me because I was close to him, real close.
He fostered my love of the written word by buying TELL magazine every week and since we had no luxuries,  I developed a love for reading. I read and reread them and of course the small Gideon Bible. Apart from that, dad has a broad knowledge of so many things. So even though he was still around, I missed him but couldn't back down from my stand.
My faith held up immense pressure.

And so it was that realising that I wouldn't back down, I got disowned by dad. No school fees. No allowances. No calls. Nothing.
But God is faithful. He always finds a way to keep me going. Despite my health challenges, he kept me through it all. He kept me through two surgeries and various ailments.

When God is all you have, God is all you need.
I've never regretted my decision.

When I felt purposeless in my 100 level days at the university,  God helped me
discover my love for words. So I began writing. At first I wrote mostly about my pain, but then I developed, got better and became a better writer. I'd write and facebook it. People would say "Wow, keep it up!" Then I'd write more, read and learnt from others. Slowly I got better.

Then I met awesome people like Subomi Plumptre, Steve Harris, Adeoye Adekoya, Iheanyi Ejiogu and Emeka Nobis. These people are awesome. They care but they won't allow any negativity or excuse from me. So I belted up and learnt from them.
They affirm, encourage and extend a helping hand, a listening ear and a word in season. Treasures in clay.

Three years ago, I had surgeries for priapism. I thought I would die but I survived, escaped because God has a plan for my life. And my school fellowship, Christ Love Fellowship Obafemi Awolowo University, has been a family in word and deed. It's a real family of love.

Most times in school, I live from hand to mouth. I have to depend on God's supernatural provisions to keep me going. God has been overwhelmingly faithful despite so many challenges and doubts in my mind.

To those reading and who are faced with
one difficulty or the other, get GOD (First and most important), get mentors, Dream and Believe in and encourage Yourself.
Work on your gifts and don't give up and never lose hope. Keep going.

My eyes are set on winning a Pulitzer. I thank God for my life.


.Hammed blogs at http://Mentalks.wordpress.com
.You can connect on him via twitter @romananroman

6 comments:

  1. This is a gracious testimony. You know i knew someone like this. Through out her University, she had only one skirt. This was the price she paid for converting. The crown it up she was the treasurer in the fellowship; so many temptation. But God helped her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracious Testimony indeed.
      Truth is they are so many people going through something like this but I'm certain GOD IS ALWAYS FAITHFUL. Let's not forget, they also need us - fellow brethren - to encourage and build up.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great story, Thanks Peace for sharing. It is surely a testimony of 'succeeding against all odds' and challenges me in more ways than one. i hope this encourages Hammed to be all He can be and more. There is strength in adversity and when you have Jesus and trust Him as the dream giver, you are alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Welcome Ma. I agree wholeheartedly that this is a great testimony. God just never fails and you what? He proves himself best in adversity.
      So I pray that we all find Grace to be faithful and patient in adversity, waiting for God to prove his mighty sovereignty - which he always does.

      Delete
  3. This is indeed an encouraging testimony. Thanks Hammed for telling your story. I pray that the Lord will use you beyond your wildest imaginations as He makes you willing and gives you the ability to do what pleases Him. Thank you Peace, for sharing this testimony with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very wonderful and encouraging piece u have here. May God continue to keep His flock.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you think concerning this post....Please comment